EverlastingKnowItAll

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Holy Crap!

Tonight I decided I'd crack it open and give it a try. I can definitely attest that when they say this stuff is dangerous, they are NOT kidding around. I grabbed a can of regular 'ole Campbell's Chili at the store, not some special "hot" version (no beans of course) and added some of this Blair's Reserve to it. Oh. My. God!

First off, it was near impossible to get the resin off the bottle to even open the darn thing, so I figured they were serious about it. And keeping in mind the warning that 1 teaspoon per gallon creates extreme heat, I was very careful when mixing it up. I actually just took the handle of a regular dinner spoon and dipped it about 1/2 inch into the bottle, then stirred it into the chili. This was nothing like regular hot sauce, it has a tar like consistency and a very deep blood-red color to it. When you smell the bottle, you can tell it's hot, but it doesn't give you that coughing sensation that smelling a cut habanero does.

Anyway, after it warmed up on the stove I gave it a little taste test. Even with that tiny amount that I added, it about knocked me on my ass. It was so hot, I honestly couldn't eat it. I added another whole can of chili to the pot to dilute it and it was still hot enough to make my head sweat and my nose run!

But the good news is, I survived the experiment and now know how very little it takes to spice up a dish. As it turns out, the best part about this stuff is that it adds an amazing amount of hottness, but doesn't affect the flavor of the food. Normally to make something that hot you'd have to add several hot peppers and it would affect the overall flavor, usually in a negative way. This was awesome, an extreme rush, yet the chili tasted superb!

High on my recommended list, but holy crap, be careful.




© 2005 - ByteMe Design
eXTReMe Tracker