EverlastingKnowItAll

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

I'm Distorted

I've recently decided that I'm a huge fan of distorted vocals. I can't quite put my finger on what it is I like about them so much, but I suppose that would be like someone explaining why they like the color fuchsia. Needless to say, if you throw some music in front of me that features a raspy/scratchy/robotic vocal track, chances are I'm going to like it. Luckily for me, most artists that use them are in my general genre of musical tastes. And for the icing on the cake, most of them are big into samples too (another fav of mine). It doesn't have to be totally distorted out of comprehension for me to like it, but I think that sounds the coolest. But any sort of vocal "enhancement" gives me the goosebumps, e.g. proper use of reverb.

Unfortunatly, some extreme speed/death metal bands also do the distortion thing. But in most cases I think they just sound silly. I used to call them Burp Bands, because most of the time they sound like they're just belting out burped words. You know, like you used to do with the alphabet when you were a kid. Or maybe still. I know I do.

Anyway, there's really no point to this, I didn't have any other topics to post about today and I just found a new band that fits the bill so I've been thinking about it. If you're up for some freakish sound:

Psyclon Nine (Their offical site is currently under revision)

The best way I can describe it is that it sounds like what you'd imagine if the Cylons from the old school Battlestar Galactica formed a band. Which actually kind of makes sense when you consider their name. Hmm.....

Other long-time favorites along the same lines:




© 2005 - ByteMe Design
eXTReMe Tracker