EverlastingKnowItAll

Monday, September 18, 2006

Ah Irony, You're Such an Interesting Character

So that pope guy gives a lecture on violence in religion where he quotes some medieval writings that pointed to the fact that Mohammed promoted violence.

In response comes this, from some extremist whackos:

"The Muslims take their religion very seriously and non-Muslims must appreciate that and that must also understand that there may be serious consequences if you insult Islam and the prophet."

"Whoever insults the message of Mohammed is going to be subject to capital punishment."

"I think that warning needs to be understood by all people who want to insult Islam and want to insult the prophet of Islam."


And in other parts of the world:

A nun killed in protest.
Churches attacked.
Extremists vow war on "worshipers of the cross".
etc...etc...etc...


So. Now. Could someone please help me understand why what the pope had to say wasn't 100% accurate and still true today.......

I am really tired of all this over-sensitive religious bullshit. It happens with all of them, but this case finally really struck that last nerve with me. I mean, how often is Christianity, quite literally, shit on? How often do people like Madonna openly mock Catholisim? I don't see anyone saying that blasphemers and Madonna's must be executed.

You can go on and on about Islam being a peaceful religion. But, given all history, NO religion is peaceful. None. I know that that majority of Muslims do not agree with the violence, but I never see any drastic steps to distance themselves from those that have taken their religion and used it as a weapon. I'm not saying this is an easy thing to do, but something really needs to happen here if we're all to move forward. You never see the extremest sects distancing themself from the rest of Islam. They want everyone to believe they are all united as one. True leaders need to step forward and firmly and openly denounce things such as this.

You can tell me until you're blue in the face that a rattlesnake is calm and peaceful. But you'll never convince me that poking one with a stick is a good idea.

Religions should not be rattlesnakes. Lashing out is not a way to make people understand.


For the record, I pretty much feel that all religions can shove it. For all sorts of reasons, including all of the above. Find me one that isn't corrupt, crazy, hypocrytical, political or violent and maybe I'll listen.




© 2005 - ByteMe Design
eXTReMe Tracker